Pages

Sunday, January 18, 2015

Dear Teddy,

You have a nasty cold. Tonight, shortly after your daddy and I read you books, sang you songs, and tucked you in, you began yelling for me. I was slightly annoyed and frustrated, as I was just about to collapse into my own bed for the night, but I knew you weren't feeling well, so I agreed to let you come lie in bed with us. You snuggled up beside me, nose almost touching mine, and smiled a tiny smile. I watched your eyes close and your chest rise and fall, until your breathing became slow and steady and the tiny muscles in your hands relaxed. I realized that, before tonight, I can't remember the last time I watched you fall asleep. And that made me sad.

Thank you, Teddy, for teaching me to slow down; for showing me that the most magical moments are the little ones in between that unfold organically; for reminding me that lowering my expectations is not a bad thing because sometimes it opens your eyes to what you've been missing out on.

Love,
Mama

SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment